Register hereFind us on FacebookFollow us on twitter A1 Letting Services
Property For Rent in Acocks Green - A1 Letting Services
HomeSearchValuationsLandlordsTenantsMaintenanceFAQRegisterContact

Translate

Due to our large number of properties we get access to exclusive deals from Virgin Media. If you are interested in getting their services, whether it's their superfast fibre optic broadband on it's own or one of their collections with TiVo TV and phone, just call their Mover's Team and quote our discount code 72168 to see what the latest offers are. Right now (03/02), as a minimum you can get an exclusive £25 credit on top of their best offers, but there are many options to choose from and the offers change regularly so certain packages can save even more.

Call 0800 183 0150 Monday to Friday 11am-8pm and quote 72168

To qualify you need to be a new customer and your property needs to be on their fibre optic network. Further terms and conditions may apply.

Property For Rent in Acocks Green - A1 Letting Services

Property For Rent in Acocks Green

Your search returned 2 matches :  

Acocks Green is an area and ward of south Birmingham, England. It is named after the Acock family who built a large house in the area in 1370. Acocks Green is one of the four wards making up Yardley formal district. The place name is occasionally spelled "Acock`s Green" with an apostrophe, although nowadays "Acocks Green" is more usual.
Stockfield, located in the north of the ward, was once a separate village to the Acocks Green area. However, the two merged as a result of housing developments during the 20th century. The ward now covers an area 4.773 square kilometres (2 sq mi). Areas covered by the ward include the Edenbridge Road Estate, Gospel Estate, Pemberley Road Flats, Stockfield Estate, part of the Tyseley Estate and the Yarnfield Estate. The ward covers part of the B27 and part of the B11 postcode areas.

Acocks Green first developed north of the current centre at the roundabout where the Warwick Road meets Shirley and Westley Roads. This area was known Tenchlee or Tenelea, meaning `ten clearings`. The settlement that developed here has completely disappeared. Huyon Hall and Broom Hall were moated manor houses located in the area. The area of Fox Hollies in the ward receives its name from the time when the Fox family bought the farm belonging to the atte Holies in the 15th century. The earliest known reference to Acocks Green is in the Yardley Parish Register of 1604. In 1626, Acocks Green House and other estates were given by Richard Acock to his son as a wedding gift. In 1725, the Warwick Road was turnpiked. During the end of the 18th century, the Warwick and Birmingham Canal was cut through Acocks` Green. This resulted in wharfs being constructed at Stockfield Road and Yardley Road. The increased prosperity brought by the canal prompted the construction of farms and large residences.

Acocks Green began to expand in the 19th century when it was connected to the Birmingham to Oxford railway in 1852. At this time there were three hamlets along the Warwick Road; Flint Green, Acocks Green, and Westley Brook. Westley Brook was to become the centre of modern Acocks Green. As Acocks Green was closer to the station, it developed faster than the old centre.

In 1911, Yardley, of which Acocks Green was a part of, was absorbed into Birmingham. Birmingham was in need of housing and in the mid-1920s, municipal housing was built on around half of Acocks Green, resulting in a large increase in the population. Many new residents were unwelcome and existing residents moved away leading to the nickname Snob`s Green. Acocks Green benefited from an increase in commerce brought about by the newcomers. It developed into a major shopping area and churches and meeting halls were extended to accommodate more people.

Trams first arrived in Acocks Green in 1916. They first stopped at Broad Road, before stopping at the Green from 1922. The centre of Acocks Green was remodelled in 1932, and a large island incorporating the tram terminus was created. After the tram service ended, the island was grassed over to become the Green.

Acocks Green was the location for a custom-built factory which made parts for the Bristol Hercules radial engines. Construction of the factory commenced in late 1936 on the site of Westwood`s market gardening business near the canal. The factory was the Rover shadow factory and it was operational by July 1937. Towards the end of the war, the Rover factory began to produce Meteor tank engines, and the Meteorite engine. The factory was visited by King George VI in March 1938. The military connection the factory had made Acocks Green a target for German bombers.

There are a number of statutorily listed buildings; cottages at 89-93 Arden Road (Grade II), the Baptist Church on Yardley Road (Grade II), the Baptist church hall on Alexander Road (Grade II). As well as this, there are locally listed buildings; the fire station (Grade B) and caretaker`s house (Grade A) on Alexander Road, police station on Yardley Road (Grade B), a house on the corner of Elmdon Road, and the library on Shirley Road (Grade A). In Fox Hollies Park, there is a Bronze Age burnt mound with Scheduled Ancient Monument status.

Stockfield Estate was one of Birmingham`s many interwar housing estates, built by the local council during the 1920s and 1930s to rehouse people from inner-city slums. The houses were popular on their completion thanks to the inclusion of electricity, running water, gardens, indoor toilets and bathrooms. The houses were constructed out of concrete and were designed in the `Parkinson` style. However, the housing was declared defective by law in 1985 and structural tests carried out in 1986 concluded that damage was so severe that repair would not be possible.

This meant that the 477 houses had to be demolished, however, Birmingham City Council did not have the financial services available to carry out the work. Residents of the estate set up an Estate Development Group and architects Webb Seeger Moorhouse were invited to prepare a masterplan for the estate. They worked in partnership with the residents and the city council. The masterplan and the proposal to establish a community association were publicly announced in October 1989 in a public meeting to the residents of the estate who unanimously approved the plans.

Stockfield Community Association was formed in 1991 and a redevelopment partnership was then formed between the Community Association, Birmingham City Council, Halifax Building Society and Bromford Carinthia Housing Association, with Anthony Collins Solicitors and Webb Seeger Moorhouse Community Architects giving support. Wimpey Homes were appointed as the developers and work on the first phase of the estate commenced in July 1991. This was met with opposition with some residents refusing to move and the crime on the estate was so bad that the washing machine in the show home provided by Wimpey was stolen. The first phase, 17 Bromford family homes for rent, were opened in the summer of 1991 by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham. By 1998, all four phases of the estate were completed by Wimpey Homes.

3 Bedroom Terrace, Pool Farm Road, Acock`s Green Price £725 pcm +Fees
Let
A traditional mid terraced residence comprising in brief of an entrance porch, lounge, kitchen withe NEW integrated fridge and freezer and washing machine, downstars bathroom with power shower, conservatory leading to rear garden with patio area, three bedrooms.
Click for Details or Contact us quoting Ref.308
Studio, Augusta Road, Acocks Green Price £295 pcm +Fees
Available Now
This is a lovely ground floor BEDSIT which comprises a kitchen, bathroom. It comes part furnished and benefits from gas central heating* & double glazing*. **INCLUDING WATER BILLS** EXCELLENT VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY!!!
Click for Details or Contact us quoting Ref.75
A1 Letting Services

Legal & Privacy | Sitemap | Links | Web Design and Software by Acquaint CRM
© 2017 A1 Letting Services - Estate Agents in Birmingham